Advanced English is a question-answer material designed for learners of English vocabulary and grammar. We are sure that, in combination with SuperMemo, it is the world's best and fastest avenue towards excellent command of English. It makes it possible to surpass the linguistic knowledge of native speakers!
You can now download the entire Advanced English 2002 (including the illustrating audio material). You can also upgrade your Advanced English 97 CD-ROM. If you are interested in Advanced English, consider: Extreme English DVD.
Advanced English is a proprietary material developed at SuperMemo World specifically with the view to using SuperMemo. The system has first been released in eight parts in 1992 as a text only version for SuperMemo 6. In 1993, it was re-released in once piece comprising 35,000 items and designed for use with SuperMemo 7. In 1994, an improved version illustrated with 25,000 audio recordings was released on CD-ROM.
Between 1994 and 1997, Advanced English has continually been improved with newly emerging language constructs and adapted for use with SuperMemo 8. It was then released as Advanced English 97 with 27,000 partly updated recordings.
Between 1997 and 2002, Advanced English kept on growing and improving. The material now includes 41 thousands questions and answers.
In 2003, new Advanced English recordings are scheduled to be released. The whole set of 84,000 texts will be illustrated with sounds recorded by a native speaker to replace the 27,000 sound collection recorded by Meg Newcomer.
- 41,000 items of updated lexicographic material with newly popularized, newly emerging, or newly recognized phrases such as: dot-com, Easy.com Easy.go, ethnic cleansing, cybersociology, evolutionary psychology, gaydar, screenager, foot-and-mouth disease, gamma testing, suicide bomber, Democratic Republic of Congo, etc. For comparison, new phrases introduced in 1997 version included: network computer, website, HTML, CDR, DVD, Prozac, taxol, Ecstasy, rowbike, mad cow disease, and more
- access to individual items by: (1) lexical category, (2) substring search, (3) alphabetical, (4) priority of the item in the learning process, (5) item difficulty, and more
- system entirely editable and extensible including texts, translations, sounds, comments, phonetic transcription, and more
- categorization of the material into a knowledge tree with main categories: (1) General English, (2) Sciences and Technology, (3) Economics, Law and Political Sciences and (4) Culture and History. For example, excitatory synapse can be found by category in Advanced English : Sciences, Technology and Medicine : Medical Sciences : Physiology : excitatory synapse.
- phonetic transcription comprising 72,000 items presented using IPA notation (the transcription registry is extendable and editable).
- instant phonetic transcription on mouse move (the program replaces English texts with IPA phonetic transcription).
- audio material comprising 27,000 American pronunciation recordings (1997 material has been digitally processed to improve quality and reduce size)
- integrated sections for testing pronunciation, spelling and comprehension
- integrated English Grammar
- browsing items belonging to a given category, random test on categories, random learning, item filters, item range and subset operations, categories, item path, learning advanced in time, postponed learning
Apart from including over 15,000 items on general English, Advanced English puts a strong emphasis on science, technology, medicine, business and economics. It practically covers all areas and language aspects that should be known to a well-educated modern individual. Here are the main categories of Advanced English including the statistics expressed in SuperMemo items (for details see the picture at the bottom of this document):
- general English: over 15,000 items
- medical sciences 2700
- idioms and proverbs 2100
- technology 1400
- business and economics 1200
- slang and colloquial English 900
- zoology 900
- computer science 800
- sports 700
- mathematics 600
- grammar 500
- chemistry 400
- humorous English 400
- foods 400
- derogatory English 400
- military technology 400
- botany 400
- phrasal verbs 400
- religion 400
- geography 400
- political sciences 300
- agriculture 300
- music 300
- other categories such as: geology, British English, loanwords, telecommunications, physics, architecture, useful phrases, metrics units and numbers, irregular verbs, plural forms, euphemisms, abbreviations, antonyms, literature, history, and more
- SuperMemo 2002 + Advanced English 2002 (SuperMemo 2002, Advanced English 2002, audio material)
- SuperMemo 2002 +Advanced English 2002 Upgrade (for users of other SuperMemos)
- Advanced English 2002 Text-Only Upgrade (text-only that can be used to upgrade Advanced English 97)
- Advanced English Help
- Build your vocabulary with SuperMemo (Wozniak, Biedalak, Spotlight 1996)
- Advanced English 97
Advanced English 2002 Contents: