Here is the interpretation of individual fields in the Language section:
- Program - this field is provided for information only. It shows the language version of SuperMemo. You cannot change this field
- Collection translation - makes it possible to select the language to which the collection will be translated. If registry files with the relevant translation exist, you will be able to see the translation of individual texts by means of Shift+click (note that only text components can be translated, i.e. not Spell-Pads, rich texts or HTML texts). If such files do not exist, they will be created and you will be able to begin translating your collection (e.g. with Shift+click which in such a case will show empty translation fields that you can fill out).You can use the button Delete to delete the currently used translation registry. See more: Translating collections to other languages
- Translation font - choose a font that will be used to displayed text translations
- Translate sounds on mouse move - if this box is checked and the instant translation is used (Tools : Options : Mouse : Translation : On mouse move), sound components will be translated on mouse move in the same way as text components. If you uncheck this box, only text components will be translated
- Localization language - choose the language of the interface used by SuperMemo at the beginner and basic levels. You can create a new interface in 5 minutes by using Localization table (below)
- Localization table - the full list of strings used by SuperMemo at the beginner and basic levels. You can translate this list in 3 minutes to your native language and thus localize SuperMemo. If necessary, you can also choose a translation font in the lower left corner of the localization table dialog box.
- Phonetic transcription - choose the phonetic transcription for the language you are using in your collection. At SuperMemo World we are constantly working on our phonetic transcription registry of English (currently 72,000 entries and still growing). You can purchase this from SuperMemo Library along other language learning material
Frequently Asked Questions
Ivanisevic, New Zealand, Oct 1, 1998)
How can I add phonetic transcription to some words?
Press Ctrl+Alt+P and type in the word and its transcription. If the transcription dialog does not appear, you have not chosen phonetic transcription in Options. In such a case do the following:
- Choose Tools : Options : Language : Phonetic transcription
- Select ready-made transcription file or type in a name for new phonetic transcription registry (in the latter case, you will be building phonetic transcription registry from scratch)
- If necessary, choose Font on the left to select phonetic transcription font (e.g. IPA font available from Advanced English)
- Once a given word appears on the screen, press Alt+Y to transliterate all texts (or use on-mouse-move transliteration)